It was a wonderful day outside, we were so happy to be there. I made a baseball cake for Nathaniel, he got his presents, Hun ran to the Dollar General and got him a little green chainsaw. We still have it and always will.
I can remember that day so clearly, I still have the little outfit Nathaniel wore that day and always will. That whole day now only exists in my mind though and in the pictures I have.
We stayed late that day in Scottsboro, my mom, grandma and sister left to go to Huntsville to see my mom's new house which was being built but we stayed. Nathaniel had fallen asleep in the chair next to Hun so we stayed because he was sleeping. I remember at about 5 o'clock after Nathaniel had woken up Hun and I took him outside to play on his little swing Hun had made for him. We sat on the yard swing for awhile, talking and watching him play then when we went in I remember Hun having to stop at the kitchen sink to catch his breath. When we left I hugged him like I always did and told him I would see him on Tuesday the 11th. He said 'Love you baby' like he always did and when I turned off the street I looked back between the houses like always to see him still standing in the drive way.
I can still smell him, I can still feel him and I can still hear him. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him. I did go back to Scottsboro on Tuesday the 11th but it was for his funeral. Not the way I had planned things at all. This time of year is always so bittersweet. We celebrate Nathaniel's birthday but I don't think I will ever stop mourning for my Grandfather. So tonight I sit here in his chair, with his father's cane next to me and I remember him. He went to sleep in his chair when he passed away, no one else will sit in his chair but my sister and I. It makes me feel comfort though and reminds me of him. I don't think the hurt of losing him will ever go away, it does get better but it never goes away.
Remember when I was young and so were you
and time stood still and love was all we knew
You were the first, so was I
We made love and then you cried
Remember when
Remember when we vowed the vows
and walked the walk
Gave our hearts, made the start, it was hard
We lived and learned, life threw curves
There was joy, there was hurt
Remember when

Remember when old ones died and new were born
And life was changed, disassembled, rearranged
We came together, fell apart
And broke each other's hearts
Remember when
Remember when the sound of little feet
was the music
We danced to week to week
Brought back the love, we found trust
Vowed we'd never give it up
Remember when

Remember when thirty seemed so old
Now lookn' back it's just a steppin' stone
To where we are,
Where we've been
Said we'd do it all again
Remember when
Remember when we said when we turned gray
When the children grow up and move away
We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when


We won't be sad, we'll be glad
For all the life we've had
And we'll remember when...






1 comment:
(((HUGS)))
Post a Comment