Friday, July 10, 2009

Birthday's aren't what they used to be.

Today I celebrated my 27th Birthday. Just 10 or even 5 years ago my birthday was a day all about ME. I actually referred to it as 'my national holiday'. But tonight as I was driving home from dinner with my husband he looked at me and said, 'Happy Birthday Sweetie', and I told him, 'you know birthday's aren't what they used to be.'

This morning Nathaniel woke up complaining of his ear hurting, so instead of focusing on the fact it was MY day I hurried to shower and dress,(forget make-up it didn't happen), and rushed us both out the door to head to the doctor's office. At the end of the doctor's visit, which I must add was not fun because his ear hurt, he had a fever, and was very hungry and cranky because he refused to eat, the doctor told me he had a severe ear infection so off we went to the pharmacy. After dropping of prescriptions we ran through Chick-fil-a for some nourishment which improved his mood a bit, hit Publix for the sicky essentials (chicken soup, juice and some cupcakes for my Birthday) and then back to the pharmacy for his prescriptions. Once home I gave him his medicine's and questioned why the doctor prescribed capsules for an 8yr.old as I cut one open and gave him the powder in some water, then tucked him into bed where he promptly fell asleep. We celebrated my birthday later when he woke up singing to me over a cupcake with one lit candle.

So birthday's arent' what they used to be. It isn't all about me anymore. Today was a reminder of how much my son is my life and now everything is about him and that's not a bad thing. I felt much better today focusing on him and making him feel better, it felt like what I am doing as a mom is right even though I often question myself.

So 'Happy Birthday to ME', and next week hopefully Nathaniel and I will get to that Birthday Lunch date we were originally supposed to go on today.



Photobucket

2 comments:

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Happy belated birthday Rebekah! ITA about birthday's aren't what they used to be. My birthday is only 4 days before Miss V's and sometimes it is hard to remember that my birthday is supposed to be celebrated too. I think we have come to a good solution, she gets a friend party and the family party she picks out the cake (within reason) and both our names go on it.

A Christian Mom said...

Happy (late) Birthday, Rebekah! I hope Nathaniel is feeling better today!