Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Closing in on a Birthday

Just a few random thoughts, late in the evening before bedtime.

On Sunday Nathaniel will turn 9, I keep wondering where did the time go? I also keep wondering if I will be thinking that for the rest of my life.

Nathaniel's birthday has always been a happy time but 6 years ago it became a bittersweet time. In the year 2003 his 3rd birthday fell on a Saturday and on Sunday the 2nd we went to my grandparents house to celebrate. We stayed late that day. Moms new house was being built and Grandma, Mom and Beth left to go to Huntsville to see it, but Nathaniel, Darren and I stayed late in Scottsboro. I am glad we stayed late. That would be the last time I would see my Grandfather. Hun passed away exactly a week after Nathaniel's 3rd Birthday. So since then
November 2nd and November 8th have been bittersweet days.

At work over the past few weeks a co-worker has been talking about her upcoming 1st Wedding Anniversary on the 8th of November. It never clicked until the other day that her Wedding Anniversary is on that same day as the day he passed away. Today I found out that one of my children in my class will turn 2 on November 8th. Maybe, somehow these things came to me this year, 6 years later to show me that some good things are happening now on that date too. It has been etched in my mind so so long as a sad date.

Today I saw pictures on facebook of a brand new baby that was born to one of my friends old friend. I smiled but my heart ached because that baby was born so close to Nathaniel's birthday. Nine years....how did we get here?

So these are my late night musings, closing in on a birthday and the passing of my Hun. Not a day goes by that I am not in my car, driving somewhere and the thought of him crosses my mind. I often wonder if a day will ever come when he doesn't cross my mind.



Photobucket

No comments: