Saturday, September 27, 2008

OT

Yesterday I went to have lunch with Nathaniel. His teacher told me Tuesday to have a letter requesting OT in my hand. She believes a week fine motor skill grip on his pencil is causing him to have problems writing. I fully support her on this. I have often wondered about it but then when they didn't find anything in all of the testing I just thought that well maybe I was wrong. He always has a death grip on his pencil, he doesn't like coloring, doing clay or even cutting b/c he has always complained that it hurts. I am bringing home some fine motor things from my classroom for him to use as well but I cna't wait to get things going for him to help him feel better about school. He loves the supply cart at school and has been buying pencil grips all week, I know they make writing much more comfortable for him. So that is the latest installment in my struggle to get things just write for Nathaniel at school. I feel like things are really going in the right direction. Since his first grade year things have gotten so much more positive for him at school.
I feel like his first grade teacher laid the positive relationship, I needed someone to love him, be patient w/ him and believe in him and his first grade teacher did that, and she gave me someone I could trust and believe in too. Now his second grade teacher is just taking it to the next level by giving me the knowledge and tools that I need to get him the help and assistance he needs. I love his principal too, I just could not ask for a better experience right now.

2 comments:

A Christian Mom said...

I'm glad things are going so well at the school & that everyone is taking the time & patience to get him the help he needs!

Des said...

I'm so glad Nathaniel is doing so much better!
And thanks for the comment. I got those leaves from Pyzam.com. Look under layouts, they have tons. ;o)