Monday, August 31, 2009

It's a Potluck! Just my luck.

Tonight I have one of my monthly staff meetings to go to. Its not the most thrilling thing to do but hey, I get paid and I get a chance to see my fellow teachers.
I was happily bouncing through my day when I realized tonights meeting is a potluck. AH! I was not prepared for this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy eating the food but sometimes it is more of a 'pain luck' than anything. Not having time to go to the store I came home and scrounged around to see what I had in the pantry.

I came up with my Great Aunt Net's,(Jeanette was her really name), Mexican Fried Rice. I am hoping it a crowd pleaser.

*Put about 1/2 cup of canola oil in a skillet

*Chop and put in half of an onion and 3 cloves of garlic

*Add 2 cups of brown rice

*Cook until the rice is a nice brown color

*Add 5 cups of chicken broth

*Season with cumin, chili powder, garlic salt and add a few tablespoons of salsa

*Cook on medium until all of the liquid is gone

*You can serve it with salsa on top too if you would like

So here's to my Great Aunt Net, who I know is watching over us from heaven. I hope you see Fried Rice get me out of a potluck bind tonight.



Photobucket

2 comments:

Lynn - A Foodie and Her Family said...

Mmm sounds good! How did everyone like it??

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I bet it was a winner!! Sounds delicious!!