To say that I have thrown myself head first into learning about Dyslexia is an understatement. I immediately searched for books, the first being, 'The Gift of Dyslexia'. I am currently about half way through the book. This book has opened an entire world to me, as I read it I find myself nodding in agreement. Nathaniel has shown all of these signs for years, I just never knew what they were a result of.
I am planning to take the certification to become a Dyslexia tutor as well. It is so important to me to learn how to help him to the best of my ability. No one else will stand up for my child and be an advocate for him, that is my job.
Dealing with the school has proven to be a challenge to say the least. What I have learned is that they don't want to do anymore than they have to. It is so much easier for them to label him as a 'behavior problem' rather than to learn how to help him and cope with his Dyslexia. After a phone call to central office and about three IEP Meetings, (conference with his teachers for his Individualized Education Plan), people were finally polite with us. He has finally qualified for Dyslexia tutoring through the City Schools. Do I think that one hour a week is enough? NO. But that is all I can right now. I have to take the certification because after much research I have found that Dyslexia Tutors are EXPENSIVE, $40 an hour for 3 hours a week.
My short term goal is to help my son in all the ways that I can. My long term goal is to help other Dyslexic children and their parents by providing affordable tutoring. At some point money isn't what it is all about, its about helping everyone. Dyslexia is not a rich persons disability, anyone can have it. I intend to help those people, if all I can do is provide support and tutoring I will do it. No one should ever have to go through the battles I have gone through in the past month to get help for their child.






1 comment:
You are such a special Mom for Nathaniel! I hope you are able to get your certification. I am sorry school hasn't been more helpful.
Post a Comment